Sunday, October 25, 2009

70 - Tau Empire Stealth Team for TOEMP Challenge #7 WIP


Seeing as it's been over a week since my last post, I thought I'd put up some WIP pictures of my Tau Stealth Team. At the moment, they've received 3 thin coats of a Purple basecoat, after which I then glued all of the various accessories on to the miniatures.

All of the Stealth Suits are equipped with Targeting Arrays (those antennae like things afixed atop their heads) while the two non-team leaders are armed with Burst Cannons. The Shas'vre is armed with a Fusion Blaster and also sports a Hard-Wired Drone Controller and a Markerlight (which is glued to the top of his Fusion Blaster).

The interesting thing about Tau models, for me at least, is how difficult it was to find reference pictures regarding which bit does what. For example, the things I'm calling Targeting Arrays could very well likely be something else entirely. I really have no idea. Googling "Tau targeting array" only gets me images of fully constructed Tau models without any specific pictures highlighting which part of the model is the targeting array. Same thing goes for the Markerlight and the Hard-Wired Drone Controller. For the Stealth Suit kit this isn't too much of a problem seeing as how the load-outs for the Stealth Team is fairly limited. But I can just imagine the difficulty (especially for the obsessive compulsive among us) of putting together a Crisis Battle Suit or a Broadside.

Well, overall I'm making good time on these figures. Honestly, the color scheme of the Stealth Team really lends itself to quick painting. The Black primer acts as a basecoat and aside from the Purple over roughly 50% of the figure, there aren't very many other colors represented. The only time intensive part I can see down the line is the highlighting. Due to the subdued and dark color scheme, these models are going to test my highlighting abilities in order to make them properly pop.

Maybe I'll be able to finish this team with enough time to spare to put together a scenery piece for them. We'll see...

2 comments:

Mordian7th said...

looking good so far! I really like the new stealth team models, they're very cool looking.

I dig the purple scheme, can't wait to see it all come together - keep up the great work!

AbusePuppy said...

The Tau Empire codex actually has a page in the color section showing what all of the battlesuit bits are supposed to represent. (of course, it doesn't show anything for the wargear that doesn't _have_ a bit for it, unfortunately...)

The "markerlight" you have on your team leader is technically a Target Lock, unless I'm remembering wrong. Personally, I use them as Targeting Arrays for my Crisis suits, but to be honest most opponents won't recognize anything except maybe Missile Pods, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin